Skip to main content


Enter your vehicle registration to check if a vehicle is registered as off the road (SORN).

Get a Full Check

Check if a vehicle is currently taxed or has a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a SORN?

A SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) is required when your vehicle is off the road. This allows you to not tax or insure your vehicle without receiving a fine.

When your vehicle is SORN, it must be kept off the road, for example on a driveway, in a garage or on private land.

How do I SORN my car?

You can make a SORN online or SORN a vehicle by telephone or post.

You will need the 11 digit number from your vehicle log book to SORN your car. You can use this number to declare your vehicle as off the road immediately.

You can also use the 16 digit number from your V11 reminder letter to make a SORN from the first day of the next month.

What happens if I don’t make a SORN?

If your vehicle isn’t taxed and insured, you could be fined if you don’t SORN a vehicle. Untaxed vehicles will receive a fine of £80, while uninsured vehicles could get a fixed penalty of £100. There are also additional penalties for uninsured vehicles under the continuous insurance enforcement rules.

You could also be fined £2,500 if a drive a vehicle that’s SORN on the road, however you are allowed to drive a vehicle that’s SORN to an MOT test centre for a pre-booked appointment.

Can I make a SORN with the log book (V5C)?

If you don’t have a vehicle registration document (V5C) for the vehicle, you will need to apply for a SORN by post.

If some of the details are wrong on the V5C, for example if the name or address is incorrect, you should correct this first before making a SORN.

You can also complete an application for a log book if you don’t have a V5C registration document for the vehicle.

Do I need to renew a SORN?

When you SORN your car, there’s no need to renew this. The vehicle will be declared as off the road until you tax, sell, scrap or export the vehicle.

The vehicle must stay in the UK for the SORN to be valid.

Driving abroad after making a SORN

If you bring a vehicle back in the UK, you won’t be able to drive it back into the country if it’s declared SORN.

You’ll need to arrange transport for the vehicle and make a SORN immediately.

There are also different requirements for taking your vehicle abroad depending on the country and length of your trip.

Check Vehicle

Declaring a SORN

A SORN will be valid immediately if you use the V5C reference number to apply online or over the phone.

If you use the V11 reminder reference number, the SORN won’t be valid until the first day of the following month.

If you choose to apply for a SORN by post, you can choose the date on which to declare a SORN, however you won’t be able to backdate this.

Refunds for tax when making a SORN

You’ll automatically receive a refund for any full months of tax remaining when you SORN your car.

This will be issued to you automatically in the same way as when you sell a vehicle.

Your SORN is automatically cancelled if you tax the vehicle again. A SORN will also be cancelled if you sell, scrap or export the vehicle.

Exemptions for motor traders

Motor traders will not need to make a SORN if all of the following conditions are met:

  • The vehicle is only temporarily in your possession
  • The vehicle is stored at your business address
  • The vehicle has been transferred to you by the previous registered keeper

These exemptions apply to motor traders, auctioneers, dismantlers, insurers and finance companies.